9.2.07

Finally a Day Off

So I'm not going to lie. Skiing every weekend can become tiring. This is the first Saturday in a month that I have not gone skiing. I am not going because honestly, it is way too cold! I love to ski but when I can't feel my legs all day and my face is windburn, I draw the line. Right now it is approximately 10 degrees at Waterville Valley with winds at almost 15 mph. Let me tell you, when it is 10 degrees with a wind chill at the summit (top of the mountain) it is real cold.

So what will I do with my free Saturday? Stay inside and keep warm! Even here in RI it is about 18 degrees. Although I cannot complain. In January I was complaining it was too warm and I couldn't ski because there was no snow. Now it is really cold and there is snow. There is no happy middle.

How did I decide not to go skiing this weekend? Well there are a few different things I check before I go. The first thing I check is the Waterville Valley website, http://www.waterville.com. On the mountain website I always go to the complete snow report. Here they list the current ski conditions which include what trails are open, which lifts are running, temperature, and new snow. When I looked today, I saw cold temperatures and windy conditions. I quickly decided I did not want to drive 3 hours to be freezing all day. I also check the Weather Channel website which gives you the full 10 day forecast. I always use this when I am making skiing plans ahead of time. Hey if it says its going to be raining or sleeting, I am staying home!

Now at 12:14am I am going to go to bed and sleep past 6am. No skiing for me!

No comments: