11.2.07

How do you begin to ski?



Skiing is not a sport you can just pick up. I began skiing when I was about 5 years old. Since it was so long ago, I actually do not remember it at all. I remember taking lessons till I was bout 10 or 12 years old at Attitash Mountain. Now skiing is second nature to me and I never think about the core fundamentals that I learned when I was 5.

Over Christmas break some friends and I went skiing. One of my friends had never skied before. At first I thought I would teach him how to ski. Once I began to think about it more, I did not remember how to ski either. Of course I know how to ski but I have been skiing for so long that I have forgotten how I learned. What is the first thing you do when you put your skis on? How do you even put your skis on? These are very important things that a beginner needs to know. So to avoid an accident, my friend took a lesson. During the lesson, my friend learned how to put his skis on, turn and stop. These are very important elements to skiing.

So what should you do if you are a beginner? You should definitely take a lesson. You will most likely hurt yourself if you just try to ski down a mountain without any clue how to stop or turn. Without control you will fly down the mountain like a maniac! However you should not only take one lesson. In order to grasp the concepts behind skiing you should certainly take 2- 3 lessons. This way you can practice turning and stopping to make sure you know what you are doing. Unfortunately you will not become a pro after a few lessons. It takes time. Every time you go skiing you will improve. Even now after many years I am still improving on skills.

If you want to learn how to ski, lessons are a guarantee. With a few lessons you will be on your way to becoming a better skier!

Still interested in learning how to ski? Visit these sites:

http://skiing.about.com/od/instructionfitness/ht/learntoski.htm
http://www.abc-of-skiing.com/learn-skiing/


No comments: