4.2.07

My winter so far


I could not wait for winter. In November when it began to get cold, I was already planning ski trips for December. When Christmas break finally arrived I was all ready to go skiing. Except there was one problem; no snow. Everyday I would check the snow report at Waterville Valley (WV) in Campton, NH. Finally during the third week in December WV had 11 trails open. On December 22nd about four friends and I ventured up to Plymouth, NH to spend the night at my friend Emily's vacation house. The next day we loaded the cars and drove about 30 minutes north to WV. When we arrived we were a bit confused. There were only about 3 trails coated with snow. However since my friend Emily and me have ski passes (which means we pay up front for the ski season) we decided to go anyways. The snow conditions were not bad, where there was snow. However it was really weird to ride a chairlift and look down and see grass. I was not the only one who wanted snow to cover the trails. As you enter the parking lot at WV they had a sign that said "Please, Please,Please Think Snow". That sign sums up the beginning of the 2007 ski season. As the winter progressed so did the snow conditions. When we went skiing on January 3rd there were about 21 trails open and the snow was nicely groomed. 21 trails meant that only about half of the mountain was open because there are usually 45 trails open. By mid January, snow covered the entire mountain and almost all trails were open. At the end of January I had gone skiing about 4 times. Since those trips have already passed and I cannot remember every detail I will write a post after each ski trip so you can know everything that happens on my crazy weekend adventures in NH.

No comments: